sábado, 25 de agosto de 2007

Willian Gibson fala sobre Second Life.

Willian Gibson, falando sobre o Second Life, em entrevista no Salon.com:
"Q: You recently did a reading in the virtual world of Second Life, where you are a kind of patron saint. I got shut out -- I didn't realize capacity would be an issue -- but I caught up with it afterward on YouTube. Did the event turn out as you'd expected?
Willian Gibson:
Apparently there's always finite space in Second Life. I was actually in a room at the Centre for Digital Media in Vancouver with a live audience so I wasn't paying much attention to the Second Life aspect, which is probably a good thing in terms of my performance. I had a laptop open so I could see it as if I was watching from within Second Life. What I saw I found a bit distracting -- people levitating and sitting on top of the microphone.
Q:How much time had you spent in Second Life by yourself?
W.G.: Just a couple of hours. I think it only works if you're hooked up socially. Otherwise it's like walking around outside a shopping mall in Edmonton, Alberta, at 4 in the morning in December. You never see anybody and if you do, chances are they run away.
Q: Some people have called Second Life the fulfillment of your vision of cyberspace. Does it at all resemble what you had in mind in 1984 when you wrote about a "consensual hallucination" in "Neuromancer"?
W.G.: It is and it isn't the vision I had. It's what the characters in my early novels would call a "construct" -- that was a word I used before virtual reality was around. I did imagine constructs where people could appear in avatar form. And in "Idoru," I imagined these teenage girls leading virtual lives in abandoned corporate Web sites which they'd taken over and altered to build themselves a hideout. Those are the two things in my fiction closest to Second Life, but they're not really anything like it. It never would have occurred to me to write something about a corporation building a virtual world in which shopping and real estate were two of the most popular activities. It sounds like too conventional a science-fiction novel."

Via Magrolima.

Nenhum comentário:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...